Each year, the British Guild of Travel Writers organises two prestigious awards schemes: the BGTW International Tourism Awards and the BGTW Members’ Excellence Awards.
About the BGTW Awards
Launched over 40 years ago as the Silver Otter Award, the BGTW International Tourism Awards scheme recognises excellence in tourism projects, this year in four categories:
- Best UK and Ireland Tourism Project
- Best Europe Tourism Project
- Best Wider World Tourism Project
- The Armchair Award
The BGTW Members’ Excellence Awards recognise the best in travel writing, photography, blogging and broadcasting. For 2020 there are 13 categories:
- Travel Feature of the Year – UK
- Travel Feature of the Year – non UK
- Travel Feature of the Year – regional and specialist media
- Specialist Travel Feature of the Year – The Bryn Frank Award
- Transport Feature of the Year – The Kenneth Westcott-Jones Award
- Travel Book of the Year – The Adele Evans Award
- Travel Photo Feature of the Year
- Travel Blog Post of the Year
- Travel Broadcast of the Year
- BGTW Travel Blogger of the Year
- BGTW Travel Broadcaster of the Year
- BGTW Photographer of the Year
- BGTW Travel Writer of the Year
This year’s awards were announced in May 2020 during an online presentation – BGTW’s Really Big Reveal. There are no BGTW awards in 2021 because of the effects of the pandemic. The awards will return in 2022.
Last year’s awards dinner
The 2019 BGTW Annual Gala Awards Dinner was kindly sponsored by Rocky Mountaineer.