1. Who we are
- 1.1 We are British Guild of Travel Writers (BGTW). Our business address is British Guild of Travel Writers, c/- Larking Gowan Chartered Accountants, 1 Claydon Business Park, Great Blakenham, Ipswich, IP6 0NL.
2. How we collect information
- 2.1 We collect your information in order to organise guild events and for use in publications such as our Directory and as part of our online database at bgtw.org. The latter is password protected and externally accessible only to others on the database.
- 2.2 In general, we will only collect such information as we need to pursue the core work of the Guild.
- 2.3 The lawful basis for collecting and publishing your personal information under the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is consent.
- 2.4 Where we ask for more information to help us improve our services or to allow us to provide advice, your response is voluntary and you are free not to provide us with more information if you would prefer not to do so.
- 2.5 You are entitled to withdraw consent at any time, though if your information is published in hard copy – such as our Directory – a period of one year or more may elapse before it can be removed.
- 2.6 Photographs: we may publish your image without your consent if you are unidentified. We will seek your consent if it is accompanied by information that identifies you.
3. Storage of information
- 3.1 We take the security of your information very seriously, and require our partners to do the same.
- 3.2 Your information will be stored on our web server and we will keep our own backup copy. We may also store your information in a digital format and on paper at our offices. We will keep your information secure by taking appropriate technical and organisational measures against its unauthorised or unlawful processing and against its accidental loss, destruction or damage.
- 3.3 You have a statutory right to see a copy of the information we hold about you on payment of a fee, which is currently £10. Requests must be made in writing to the BGTW office at the address stated in ‘Who we are’ above.
- 3.4 If you wish to be removed from our database, you can do so by emailing or writing to the BGTW office at the address stated in ‘Who we are’ above.
- 3.5 Members can edit their profile and data at any time on our website. Non-members can edit their information we hold on our website at any time by simply requesting a direct link to your information via the BGTW office at the address stated in ‘Who we are’ above.
4. What we use your information for
- 4.1 We will use your information to complete the project, initiative or service for which purpose you originally provided it to us.
- 4.2 We will use your contact information (email address, postal address, landline and/or mobile telephone number/s), to contact you to about Guild news and related events.
- 4.3 We will not share your information with any other organisation without your consent.
- 4.4 If you have any questions or complaints about the information we hold on you, please contact BGTW via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Our data protection officers are our Secretariat.
5. With whom we may share your information
- 5.1 a web hosting company who process information on our behalf
- 5.2 The information we hold is subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) and may be disclosed, in limited circumstances, under the FOIA.
- 5.3 We will not transfer any information we collect from you outside the European Economic Area (the EU member states, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) without your permission or as permitted by law.
6. What if I’m aged 16 or under
- 6.1 If this applies to you, please get your parent’s/guardian’s permission before you supply us with any personal information.
- 7.2 Further information about data protection issues including the Register of Data Controllers can be found on the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk).
8. General provisions
- 8.1 All of your information will be maintained by BGTW in accordance with law.
- 8.2 We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Please always let us know if you think it is not.