These are the 39th BGTW Tourism Awards (2016)
Over the years, the Guild has recognised scores of worthwhile tourism initiatives around the world. And the decision on who gets the kudos is down to you, the members. The list reflects us and where we travel in search of stories, from remote Pacific Islands to just down the road from where we live. Some projects cost millions; others are simpler community projects that take just as much effort and love.
Projects must be no more than three years old (ie after September 1, 2013). Apart from their obvious appeal as tourist attractions, we take into account:
- social impact
- local job creation
- environmental impact
The range could not be broader, from the Tren Crucero, a tourist railway in Ecuador to the Nyungwe Nziza park project in Rwanda. Big hitters have included the restored Cutty Sark (London) and the new Acropolis Museum (Athens).
There are three categories:
- UK and Ireland
- the Wider World.
On a special Guild evening in September, proposers of the six shortlisted make a presentation to the members present; their vote decides the three finalists; a Guild-wide vote determines the Winner and two Highly Commended, a (secret) result announced at the November Gala Awards Dinner.
But this is not about Gold, Silver and Bronze. It really is about taking part. Making the top ten in the UK, Europe or the Rest of the World is no mean feat – and means such a lot to those nominated.
WHY BOTHER TO ENTER A PROJECT?
Benefits to the destination
- nomination gives new initiatives a boost, helps PRs to justify press trips
- being shortlisted for the September meeting gets a buzz going on social media
- getting to the final three on the eve of WTM generates real excitement at national tourist offices, PRs, tour operators.
Benefits to you as a proposing member
- nomination gives you kudos and appreciation from the destination, tourist office
- getting to the final gets you 2 FREE seats at the dinner: you, PLUS your guest (destination, tourist office, embassy)
- with our enhanced digital/social media coverage, you will get more exposure as a well-travelled expert
NOW make your nomination for 2016 here…
These are the 39th BGTW Members Awards (2016)
(To be completed)